What are you building this month? [July 2020]

Hey Makers,

Time for the July edition! You know the drill, post in the comments what are you working on this month. Do you have any exciting news to share? Do you struggle with something? Make sure you include those as well so other people can maybe help you.

Ok, let's see what's everyone up to 🚀

Raz Author

This month I'm continuing my work on Chartbrew. I just finished a big redesign (UI, functionality, architecture) that I've been working on for more than 4 months. So July will be the time for deployment, testing and ironing out any issues that come along the way.

A big focus will also be to gather more beta testers and push Chartbrew a bit more in the open-source community. I need to start working on use-cases and having people test it is paramount.

But overall I'm really happy that I managed to finish this redesign because it opens a lot of avenues for exciting new features. But first…testing 😁

0 Likes

Wow, it looks great!

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

As always really great work and kudos on the redesign!

0 Likes
Raz Author

@brainless Thaaanks 😁

0 Likes
Benny Chan

Nice website! Very informative. I was thinking to develop a similar product. When I take a look at Klipfolio and Geckoboard, I thought that their products are targeting more mature startups, which have a strong need to consolidate data from different channels.

0 Likes
Raz Author

@bennyychan Glad you like the website 😁 Regarding the competitors, that's what I found as well. Everybody seems to be going for mature businesses and their pricing kinda reflects that. There's also redash.io which starts at $49/m as well. My plan is to target owners with digital products that are just rising in revenue and need simple dashboarding. I need to work a bit more on creating use-cases and update the copy of the website accordingly.

0 Likes

I'm building a newsletter with proven decision making guides like Swot Analysis, Rubber Band Model, Feedback Analysis and much more.

I'm confused should I keep it free or make it paid. I have lot of content but it's very tough creating them.

I take practical examples to help my readers understand with diagram.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Raz Author

I think there are a few avenues for monetization for this kind of newsletter. One could be to build an audience and then try to get sponsors. Maybe @petecodes can give you some insight into this.

Another way could be using something like Ghost as a blogging platform and make member-only articles combined with free ones. Bring people in with free articles, but then they have to become members to read the "premium" ones. I believe Anne-Laure implements this model with NessLabs.

I'm not speaking from experience though as I never had a newsletter before. It's just some models I've seen around. Good luck! ✌

0 Likes
Pete Codes

@depomoty @kaknut I'd say it's easier to get sponsors than the paid route. Anne-Laure also has a community so it's not just content.

0 Likes

I'm still building my "learning diary platform" to help with learning habits. Essentially it's similar to makerlog but for learning. I had good progress this month so I hope to launch MVP this month.

At the same time, I wanted to get back to blogging and launch a travel blog this month and publish a few posts. In addition, I want to restore my travel Instagram and launch an email newsletter to support the blog.

0 Likes
Yuyu

Looking forward to the MVP launch 🚀

0 Likes

Hey Makers 🌞

I’ve been so caught up in developing upfast.app that I completely forgot sending updates via the newsletter, updating the homepage (& screenshots) and even postponed my planned beta start, which was supposed to be two weeks ago.

So, time for some accountability. I solemnly swear to:

• send newsletter #1 today 12:00 CEST
  • ship beta next Tuesday (07.07. 👈 I’m a sucker for a good date)

Do you have any other tips to force myself to ship? Tell me!

(If you’re into performance monitoring or need someone to check your Lighthouse score every hour, I’d love your feedback 👉 Up&Fast)

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Do you already have customers? Since you mentioned you are caught up in developing, I am curious.

Great site otherwise.

0 Likes

@brainless Thank you. No I don't have customers yet. The perfectionist in me has me constantly improve things within the app, haha.

0 Likes
Raz Author

The landing page looks great 😁 I use uptimerobot.com for monitoring my sites and APIs and one feature I like the most is that it sends mobile notifications through their app. Something you might consider adding to your probably already huge feature list haha. I'm not a big fan of email notifications because I generally have them off on my phone.

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@scholz I see. If you want my honest opinion to nudge you to ship it is this realization I had recently:

On a daily basis someone tells me something on the site has bugs. Or the demo does not live up to their expectation, it is "just like PHPMyAdmin". Surprisingly these are the same people who never say they want to actually use the product.

I posted my thoughts here.

0 Likes
Jarod Peachey

Awesome! The homepage looks amazing! Did you use TailwindUI?

The app looks like it would be awesome as well.

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

dwata dwata.com

Software to manage & understand Business Data without fighting with SQL databases or third-party APIs. Completely visual, no-code, for non-technical people.

Hello everyone!

I am Sumit and I've been working full time for about 60 days now. Some more details:

Who is it for?

• Startups that are scaling up, post-MVP
  • They need internal tools for operations
  • Like changing product/customer settings, CMS, reporting and analytics, general CRUD…

What am I looking for?

Would love your feedback. If you know post-MVP startups that are scaling operations, please let me know or even better if you can connect me to them.

Cheers and Thanks a lot for your time,

Sumit Datta

0 Likes

So this is my first post here :) What I'm building this month is a tool to make Fantasy Hockey better. I'm a Hockey fan "I'm Canadian :)" And I love Fantasy league etc. But I feel the ui of all those I use are so outdated. So I decided why not trying this :) So I hack Sunday I really quick Prototype and now I feel I really want to commit on it. Here the LINK I need to link directly to a player cause :) nothing is working yet. Only the search and getting the stats :)

0 Likes
Benny Chan

Just launched v0.1 of a Saas Name Generator - 3s Name. It helps founders to find the best product names and match with suitable domains!

0 Likes

Im building a simple tool that generates websites with just Google Sheets. Gonna call it WebSheets! :D

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Nice name! You might want to check Pory, they are building similar product on Airtable Sheets as I remember.

0 Likes

That sounds really interesting

0 Likes
kiran

Cool name! This sounds like Sheet2Site.

0 Likes
Erin Staples

This month, I'm working on building out the foundation for my tool kit on Media Entrepreneurship, and continuing to have interviews with creators and makers in order to make sure that it's reflective of actual tools in this community.

Sections I want to build out this month include:

• Building your audience
  • Why this is an issue that matters
  • Building a membership program
  • Substack v. Patreon v Gumroad

Part of this will also be updating it in my newsletter, and working to schedule posts on that front.

0 Likes

My partner and I are working on various membership programs, mostly LZVO.com and KVZO.com. Could we be part of the interview?

0 Likes
archerdw

My friends and I are still working on Lipoker, a video chat poker site where friends can play with no downloads or signups! For us, our next steps will be to integrate countdown timers and have the ability to show hands.

In the meantime, we would definitely appreciate if you guys could check out https://lipoker.io Let me know if you have any feedback!

0 Likes
Petr Garmashov

Looks nice. How would you monetize it?

0 Likes
Gaserd

Hey, guys! You are very awesome.

Do you think about the mobile version?

0 Likes
Oskar Ahlroth

Hey all, i'm putting together Glitterly the online video editor where you can make awesome explainer video clips of your app.

I just finished the landing page MVP and i’ll be continuing with the fine tuning of the actual product and video engine, to get it ready for a real Beta release.

0 Likes
Raz Author

This is a very good idea! I'm making a new video showcase for my product just now. So funny that I stumbled across your post just now haha. I signed up and I'll be interested to give it a go 😁

0 Likes
Oskar Ahlroth

@depomoty Thanks! ChartBrew looks cool, i'd love to feature it on the landing page as a sample video if that's ok?

0 Likes
Raz Author

@oskarahl Sure, that's completely fine with me 😀

0 Likes
Oskar Ahlroth

@depomoty Beta is ready, make a video of ChartBrew here and i'll add it to the landing page :)

0 Likes

Working on and hopefully shipping Tinysteps!

Tinysteps is a minimalistic habit tracker + journal that you can use to reach your goal. It's incredible fast and simple and you can install its browser extension to use it as new tab page ✨

I still have some good features to build but it's pretty usable and I want to ship it fast 🚀

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to make it better?

0 Likes
Petr Garmashov

Looks super. Have you already tested some traffic?

0 Likes
Yuyu

Just shipped the landing page for clinic near me - a complete directory listing for clinics in Singapore. This will be my focus for this month.

There’re many types of clinics in Singapore and based on my experience, it’s difficult to find information or reviews on smaller neighbourhood clinics in my area.

Gonna be a fun project to work on :D

0 Likes

Subbed! Really neat landing page, this is gonna be something useful for me

0 Likes
Yuyu

@mvrckio Thanks! If you could share with me what you would expect to see when you land on the website from a user point of view, that would be awesome :D

0 Likes
Jason Leow

Nice to see a social good project for SG!

0 Likes
Yuyu

@jasonleow Thanks 🇸🇬

0 Likes
Yuyu

@mvrckio Just checking the mailing list and didn't see any new subscribers and I realized there's an issue at the backend caused by my recent change.

Could you try to subscribe again? You should see a success message this time.

0 Likes
Silvia

Big release for our 2-person team - we shipped our first iOS app JumpyCat Fitness Coach

We had planned to ship by July 1, and were only 2 days behind, submitting for app review on July 3. We got through review from the first time! (phew), so finally released the app on the Store yesterday. Now on to the marketing! 😅

0 Likes
Nic Coates

I'm building Static, a static hosting platform with a focus on privacy-first.

Why? There's so many products that provide hosting

Yep, and they are awesome. But most of them use cloud platforms like AWS or provide serverless functions with code being deployed from GitHub. Do you know where the data is stored? Do you really need all these serverless functions?

Privacy-first means a self-built platform

I'm building my own cloud platform made up of physical servers hosted in countries where key disclosure laws do not exist. I've vetted the companies and chosen servers where I know their origin.

I'm busy developing but making huge progress. Follow Static on Makerlog to keep track of the progress!

0 Likes

Hey 💻 Makers,

Were all in this together. I'm Builiding Simplefeed, a Simpler News Site with A New Twist on news, and Over-Biased and Fake News Free. I've been wanting to do this project for a while, and 🎉I'm offically starting today :). I finshed the Designs a long time back, and made some new designs and re-imagined the whole site.

I'm also working on The Maker's World, My Newsletter/Blog, where I post weekly Interviews, Articles, and Case Studies from the biggest makers, projects, products and startups! I would love if you could subscribe, Helps me a lot :). bit.ly/MakersWorld2020.

What are you up to? Happy July. I'm a bit late :)

0 Likes
vitalie

This month I'm continuing my work on Sauspa

0 Likes
Yuyu

The under-construction page needs some love. Might be a good idea to add an email subscription to it as well.

0 Likes
vitalie

@yuyu yes you're right, soon i will upload something :D Btw, how other guys add direct links on the post? :D

0 Likes
Nic Coates

@vitalijalbu You'll need to use Markdown to add a link: https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/

0 Likes
vitalie

@gadgick Thanks🙏

0 Likes
Richard Chu

I'm working on Letterbase - a privacy-friendly alternative to Intercom/Crisp.

I just completed a visual refresh to make the messenger more flexible and easier to use. I also added a blog and published my first blog post a couple of days ago.

For this month, I'm ramping up my marketing + sales efforts, and also continuing to add new features to the product. Some stuff that should hopefully land this month include custom launcher icons and better mobile support.

0 Likes
Yuyu

Nice landing page

0 Likes
Nic Coates

This is awesome @richardchu 👍 I'm working on a privacy-focused hosting platform for static sites so it's great to see other makers taking a privacy-first approach.

0 Likes
Petr Garmashov

Hey. Landing looks nice. Its interesting, is there still a place for such products?

0 Likes
Jarod Peachey

I'm building https://staticbox.io. I'm working on the core functionality. I've got the design ready, I just need to finish up some of the functionality.

I'm also building https://system-ui-kit.netlify.app, a UI kit that improves upon Material UI in simplicity, customization and design.

0 Likes
José Cage

I was working on FullStack Jobs, which is a webapp/page (only with two php scripts) that lists open "full stack" positions. And aside of that I have a PHP script that scraps the the data from different sources (GitHub Jobs, Stack overflow and others.)

Link: Fullstack Jobs Stack: PHP + Tailwindcss Hosted on heroku.

0 Likes
vitalie

Just launched the first BETA of Ceebo 🥗 🥘 🌮 🌭 🍔 🍟 🍕

Ceebo is a food delivery ecommerce platform focused on the best restaurant experience and analytics. 👁‍🗨

Now next-step is to grow audience and SEO, any advices? 🙂

0 Likes
subins2000

I'm building a simple LAN filesharing webapp : https://ShareThisFile.Online

I need it to easily share files among devices in my LAN without installing anything at all, just a website!

0 Likes
Josh Manders Staff

This month I took a vacation at the beginning to rejuvenate myself. It helped a bit and now I'm back into the grind.

I am starting to lay the foundations of my MVP for Primcloud, my competitor to Heroku.

I've also consolidated down all my extra projects to 3 main open source projects that will help me:

1. Plebpack, my solution to convoluted webpack configs and quickly abandoned boilerplates.
  2. Nifty UI a React based UI on top of Tailwind CSS.
  3. Kubit (unreleased) a Microservice framework written in Node/TypeScript.
0 Likes
Tracy

This month I'm starting work on a new Shopify App for generating landing pages based on proven layouts. I just finished all the branding (helps me get started with any new product) and have built a very basic POC app that I am sharing with a few connections to start testing the validity of the product.

My next steps are to get a fully functional page editor built utilizing Shopify's Polaris components.

0 Likes

I'm new here! This month I'm working on launching Lazy Virtual Office.

Our site help entrepreneurs become more productive through automation, delegation, and systems.

We also interviewed various entrepreneurs sharing their success, failures, and productivity hacks.

We started this movement because we know what it's like being stuck in the grind, constantly putting out fires .. not sustainable at all.

So we went ahead to solve our problems, and we want to do the same for others.

Right now, our focus is on building an audience.

To do that, we'll be giving away our "lazy" community membership for free.

We're looking to add more tutorials into the membership, any suggestions will be awesome!

More info here

0 Likes
Yuyu

Just signed up. Sounds interesting!

0 Likes
Carlos Villaumbrosia

Hey makers!

So this month my team at Product School and I are working hard on making our next ProductCon conference which is in September! We’re also preparing to launch a new season of The Product Podcast. But most importantly, we launched our first scholarship program!

As for our recurring tasks, we are continuing to expand our community, meeting great people involved in Product, and constantly improving curriculum.

😁

0 Likes
Jason Leow

Just dived into the murky waters of SEO-ing on JAMstack! Glad I did it for Sweet Jam Sites. Wrote about it here, but still more to come. Also pivoting the value proposition a bit, to JAMstack being a solution for frustrated Wordpress users ready to jump ship to something else. Hoping to fine-tune the marketing pitch, find sources for cold leads and create a scalable pipeline for leads from that.

0 Likes

Hi Makers! This week I launched Yonooo A random answer generator (like Magic 8 ball) and also has a random affirmation at the footer so you can start the day without being indecisive and feel good.

For me personally, This is my learning curve with React and Gatsby and use small stuff of GraphQL so I understand the basic about it.

Thanks~~!

0 Likes
Liz Windsor

Hey all,

Whew! I'm late to this party :) This month I have been working to improve our organic reach via blog and social media. I'm wrapping up our blog series about the research, testing, product development, hardware design, and ergonomics that went into creating both Sentien (the company) and Sentien Audio (our product). We also just published four videos of our CEO demoing the noise-cancelling microphones Sentien Audio uses. The videos answer one of the three most commonly asked questions about our product: How will I sound on a phone call?

It's been an uphill battle to improve our reach and grow our audience. Do you have any content/social media marketing tips that helped you?

0 Likes
Nitin K

I am currently trying to approach target audience for my SaaS product GetRightFeature. Right now i have just created landing page to collect beta users emails. Also I will shape my solution according to their needs. Lets see what happens.

0 Likes
Jordi Enric

This month I built worktunes.co in an afternoon the day before my birthday! 🥳 I'm pretty excited to have it out there.

0 Likes
Gaserd

This month I am working on trading projects, one of them I have already launched on PH.

For the next one, I have already spent 5 phone calls with potential clients and learned their real pain. It remains only to program the MVP and show them.

0 Likes

Please sign in to leave a comment.