NOTICE:Makerlog Next and the future of the community.Read more.

Jason Leow »

Indie hacker | Creating a diverse portfolio of products + services to $10k monthly revenue. ⛓ - link-in-bio via Google Sheets ✍️ - daily writing for creators 🔌 - plugins to power up your Carrd sites 🏛 - design × gov consultancy 📬 - weekly newsletter for my indie solopreneur journey

 Awesome🔥 1736 day streak👥 132 followers
View full profile

Just because a project shows promise, doesn't mean you're obligated to double down all the way. It's an option, amongst many other options and opportunities. > Your phrasing of “having the option but not the obligation to pursue wins” has stuck with me. Now I think when we don’t push a win further it’s probably our gut telling us that last 20% of optimization might take a lifetime and might not yield the results we think it will. – [@LBacaj]( Maybe this is how I should be looking at my Carrd plugins project. Not as an outright ***failure*** but as a "good enough" win, even though it didn't bring me to the revenue goals I wanted. Because I think I might have already hit the 80% of the win, and as Louie said, pushing the final 20% optimization might not yield the results I want. And that's pretty spot on to how I feel about my plugins project. After 9 months going hard on it building new plugins, trying different distribution channels and hitting ~$1k/m, the returns seems to be diminishing for the same amount of effort as compared to when I initially started pushing for growth and the [revenue tripled]( I could double down on this one project for sure and keep hunting for the unlock that will bring me to $5k/m, but it's still ways off to bridge the $4k gap. Unlikely, I think. Is achieving 80% of a project's potential a win, or a fail (even if I didn't hit my overall revenue goal)? A win I feel. I can live with that. > In 2019, most of my income came from a programming book ($140K sales). In 2020 from a social media course ($310K). In 2021 from freelancing ($220K). In 2022 from a discord community ($720K). If I had "doubled down" on my first win, I would have missed all other opportunities. – [@dvassallo]( And maybe to Daniel's point, just because it showed promise doesn't mean I should double down, *single down* on it *all the way*. Achieving the 80% doesn't mean an obligation to pursue the remaining 20%. I can maintain steady state at 80% while I seek out other opportunities that can help me cover back the 20% I didn't pursue for this project, in another project. In all likelihood, another project will top up and go beyond the 20%. I feel much better seeing my project this way. A gentler, kinder perspective.

Added · Completed

Where makers learn, build, and grow in public.

© Nifty Development, LLC