What are you building this month? [June 2020]

Hey Makerlog,

It's June and It's almost Summer! What are you Building or What are You Working on Right now?

Makers Rocket Author

Hey Makerlog,

This Month I'm Working on tons of projects, and some side-projects!

I'm working on The Fundamentals- My Newsletter on How to build a startup! I'm also Working on Wako, A Video App For Teams, People and Co-workers. And, Lastly I'm working on MemberLab with @MihaiVoinea.

What are you up to?

0 Likes
Levi MK

Nice! That's quite a lot to work on. Are you also working? Or are you able to just put all you attention into you projects?

0 Likes
Makers Rocket Author

@levimk I'm not working atm,. The Fundamentals is my side-project, and WAKO and MeerLab is more also of a side-projects

0 Likes
Levi MK

I've just started working on Prefolia: a place for people to share the stories of their work in progress. I was inspired by seeing behind the scenes of my brother's creative process as he makes his art (he is a choreographer) and I thought I'd love to see the creative process of everyone else too! There is so much to learn not just from the finished products (like portfolios) but by seeing the entire process of how things are made. I only started working on it last week. And I've struggled to stay focused and motivated for side projects in the past so I've started using Makerlog too. Just made the landing page live with Carrd at prefolia.com , and you see the boilerplate code (lol) I've used to start making the app at staging staging.prefolia.com

0 Likes

Hello fellow Makers ๐Ÿคฉ

Super excited for June as Iโ€™m preparing the last touches for the โšก upfast.app beta โšก which is going to start around the mid of June. Iโ€™ll decide on a specific date within the next few days. And then I will send out a longer blog post about the features & beta this week on the first newsletter edition ๐Ÿ˜Š

The main Up&Fast features include:

• quick & simple uptime monitoring
  • request speed monitoring
  • recurring lighthouse performance scores &
  • a powerful status page builder

I have so many more amazing features planned, but I just want to get the core functionality into hands of users as soon as possible. If that sounds interesting to you: then sign up for the newsletter & be among the first beta users! ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿฅณ

0 Likes
Makers Rocket Author

Hey Felix,

Nice App! I can't wait to See how it turned out :)

0 Likes

@narrvv Thanks! ๐Ÿ™Œ

0 Likes
Makers Rocket Author

@scholz No Problem My Dude :) $Together We Make

0 Likes
Roel

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I was working on #hippo. I've started a new job at the largest nature preservation NGO in The Netherlands and found little time/energy to work on side projects. It's hard to get into it if you only work on something once a week..

But in June I have two goals:

• Launch iCloud sync for Hippo. I've been working on this for a while now and its almost ready to go live
  • Make an alpha version of a Hippo Mac app using Mac Catalyst
0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Hey Roel, Hippo homepage looks nice. Is this iOS only? I think placing the logo of App store of Play store helps a bit. Keep shipping!

0 Likes
Levi MK

Oh, nice! Looks great. I'm going to give it a go :)

0 Likes
Roel

@brainless Thanks! yes iOS only, I had a lot of requests for an Android version but I use this project to learn native Swift programming so for now I'm not making a cross platform app.

0 Likes
Kai

I am working on https://amicu.app - reminders to keep in touch with the people you know.

I am focusing on:

• learn content to summarize my own research
  • statistics (feature request)
  • small UX things
  • some pricing changes
  • identifying more personas / related channels
0 Likes
Emil

At the end of May, I started a newsletter for a local audience. The main part is an interview with successful indie hackers or makers and some tips based on their success. :)

If someone with a nice project would be interested to get interviewed. Lemme know :) Downside of that, it's for my local audience only but the backlinks are always worth it! :)

0 Likes
csturtevant

Hey Makerloggers!

This month Iโ€™m working on a task management app called TinyFocus! The core of the app is the idea of accomplishing large goals one step at a time by keeping you in the state of flow. To facilitate this the appโ€™s home page is the next task you want to complete and thatโ€™s it. There will be a virtuous cycle of high level project prioritization and low level task prioritization leading into task execution and consistent flow.

Hoping to have more to show soon, and canโ€™t wait to see what everyone has in store for this month!

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Hey! This is a nice idea, how do you intend to help prioritize the goals or break them down? Is this going to be community driven or software automated?

0 Likes
Fabian

Thats a great idea, I love the concept. Would love to see UX examples once ready!

0 Likes
csturtevant

@brainless Hey Sumit, right now this would be an application for driving one persons goals. Would you elaborate on how you could see something like this being community driven?

0 Likes
csturtevant

@fabito Hey Fabian, will absolutely make sure to send them out when they are ready! There are already plenty of influences, but are there UX examples of similar products that have inspired you that you could share?

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@csturtevant I was thinking on the lines of how pubic audit from founders on Makerlog, Indie Hackers, Product Hunt, WIP chat etc.

• A lot of people including myself struggle with breaking things down
  • Community could give tips to break large milestones into small goals
  • Or suggest existing solutions that make the goal easy

I have been thinking about these for a while since I really like public audits and agile tools - mixing them and help each other as a community would be great I think.

Note: I have practiced project management with SCRUM or Kanban, professionally for many years.

0 Likes
Fabian

@csturtevant Not really any examples. I'm just done with having thousand features in an app which is completely unbearable to work with. A good example for that would be PHPStorm I work with in my own projects, where I stripped almost 80% of the features off to have a good-looking and simple editor. From what I understand thats your idea with the project as well, keeping it simple, and thats what I'm looking forward to!

0 Likes
Makers Rocket Author

Nice Idea, I cant wait to check it out. One question, how does this compare to other task mangemt apps?

0 Likes

Hey ๐Ÿ‘‹

Building McPiper - simple macOS status bar app for monitoring Gitlab CI/CD pipelines.

Focused on building the MVP in May, and it's nearly there for macOS AppStore submission. Just few smaller improvements left.

Other CI/CD servers are planned for later versions (probably V2).

McPiper

0 Likes
Makers Rocket Author

:)

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Hello Makers!

Good morning from Laos! I am working on a business challenge that affect a lot of post-MVP stage companies and would love to hear your thoughts.

Businesses constantly invest in building internal tools to manage their data - Customers, Payments, Shipments, Registrations (multi step onboarding), Verification, Moderation, Content management, etc. These tools are need by literally every software/data driven business, particularly B2B.

I am working on dwata to solve these issues. I have vast experience in building internal tools (or admins) for many startups over 14 years.

• dwata works with any relational DB (MongoDB coming soon)
  • gives you CRUD (Create/Read/Update/Delete)
  • custom actions (Mark user as Seller for example)
  • plugs into existing backend with APIs
  • has built in notes/documentation
  • advanced visual queries (no SQL knowledge), etc.

If you are planning to build admin on Django/Rails/Laravel/Express/etc. I would love to talk and see if dwata can manage these without you writing code. I am happy to provide attention to things that block your business.

Thanks a lot, Sumit

0 Likes
Fabian

The first question I would ask myself, in what way is this different to PHPMyAdmin as example? I love the idea, as I see the same features required by every business indeed, but I do not really see how your program makes it easier to manage multi-step registrations as example. Would love to hear that!

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@fabito Hey thanks, very good question. Unfortunately I can not show you an example since I'm not there yet but you can see ReTool which is a product is the same domain. The custom workflow would be very similar.

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@fabito Hey Fabian, I wanted to add one critical point - this is aimed at non-technical people in a business. As a programmer it is easy for us to make, say, a multi-step registration or whatever else. But dwata is about letter everyone be a part of managing data for the business or building data driven tools.

0 Likes
Fabian

@brainless Yeah, I was aware of that. Thanks for clarifying though. After you linked the other alternative it was clear what it could look like in the future, just in the current state I was confused as it looked like a normal database management panel. Cheers and good luck with your project!

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@fabito I have gotten feedback from multiple places but Pioneer app in particular and basically it boils down to "My product messaging sucks". No better way to put it. The landing page is way to tech focused, does not clearly say what it is solving for teams at large. This week I am focusing on fixing all these issues. Also start a blog.

0 Likes
gamwe6

Just bought the domain name for menabased and it's going to be a job board for the MENA* region for now. And it's going to be more than that in a near future. I'll keep posting the updates, watch out!

So for this month, I will mainly:

• add new job offers
  • add new companies
  • add pagination (maybe)

I also bought another domain but it will be a post for another time.

*MENA: Middle East and North Africa.

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Hey! Are you going to aggregate jobs from other sites or initially all manual work? I would like to talk to you cause I think my product might be of help.

0 Likes
gamwe6

Hey @brainless, What I do right now is to select a few startups and check if they have job offers on their website and then I choose it to be scraped by my script.

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

@gamwe6 That is good, what about job application platforms, they would have open jobs for multiple companies.

0 Likes
gamwe6

@brainless Indeed, this is another option. I took the simplest route first. Let's see where it will lead me.

0 Likes
oliver

Hi everyone,

I am quite new here and will try to engage more actively now. This month I will push my side project TalentLane.io forward and hope to start in closed beta at end of month - maybe earlier.

TalentLane is a very simple, quick to setup applicant tracking system for small to medium teams with a fair pricing. ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿฅณ If this sounds interesting, sign up now to get access asap.

I am happy and thankful for feedback for the current landing page. Extended landing page with more information is planned but far from ready - so your advice will definitively get worked in ๐Ÿ™Œ

Best Oliver

0 Likes
Fabian

Hey there! The screenshot of the app looks extremely nice, but somehow the landing page is the exact opposite. The header colors do not really match (bright background and dark-gray input), the padding at the form doesn't seem to be right for a style with so much padding everywhere else.

What I am also missing are exact features you are offering. "We offer you a simple and ready to go tracking solution"

• What makes it simple?
  • Why is it simple compared to others?
  • How does it improve my current workflow?

"We empower structured and data driven hiring"

• What does that mean?
  • Does communication mean only email or also live chat system?
  • Hows GDPR if you're in Europe?

I feel like the landing page in it's current state is more of a list of how you wanted your product to look like, but not really something what is selling your product. I'd work a bit more on wording and real use-cases instead of blank texts. One example for that:

Remember the times opening letters one by one, reading through applications, interviewing them and sharing all of this information with your team lead just a day after? I do!

This is why I developed XYZ. Ditch your old letters and come up with a data-centralized approach, where anyone in your team can see the progress. From the first email application to the job interview feedback, all digital. (But, if you REALLY want to go back to paper, you can also print them as PDF!)

0 Likes
oliver

Thanks @fabito, appreciate your feedback a lot. It somewhat confirmed my own impression. Yesterday I've relaunched the website to an improved version including signup but feel like I need to put much more work into the copy again :)

Do you mind if I maybe orientate on your example, I quite like it?

0 Likes
Fabian

Hey fellows!

I'm quite new here. I'm currently working on an open-source up2date ticketing- and support system. The current solutions are great, but most of them are either outdated or do not offer enough options to get into the enterprise direction.

I was working with another customer before which required such a system, which is why I thought "why don't create an OS one?".

I'm still pretty early in development but looking forward to it. :)

0 Likes
Sumit Datta

Hey Fabian, welcome to Makerlog. Are you aiming software related ticketing or end-customer support?

0 Likes
Fabian

@brainless End-customer is the main purpose :) At the end of the day you could probably also use it for security related ticketing, but I currently do not have any plans to make a list of tickets available for public. Might be a good idea for later, but end-customers go first.

0 Likes
jpfong

Hello makers!

Docbrew an invoicing tool, the landing page improved greatly. You can now use a free invoice generator directly into the landing page: http://docbrew.com ๐Ÿ˜€

0 Likes
Victor

It's been already 9 months (๐Ÿ˜ฑ) I've been working on https://pingr.io

This is yet another uptime monitoring service. Don't ask me why :)

Now it's in public beta, so if anyone is interested - I'd love to get any feedback

0 Likes

Still working on https://www.diabeticme.org :D

0 Likes

Progressing with my project #thelifeboard website

It's a weekly planner to track your progress towards your goals and habit tracker.

I sent invites to a few friends last week to get some feedback and I plan to open it for sign ups shortly. We have an open demo and if anyone is interested in trying it, just send me a DM in Twitter @uf4no

0 Likes
Kamban S

Working on myquicksite.com, launched on PH, now enhancing the core features. Working with a few customers to understand the difficulties. This is definitely going to be an exciting month.

0 Likes

I built strictly privacy-focused website analytics. Kindmetrics. It is an alternative to Google Analytics. It is rigorous on privacy, and respects Do Not Track and so on. You guys will love it. It is out in open beta at https://kindmetrics.io

0 Likes

Hey Makers,

I'm just done with a landing page for #Toki. Next, I'm working on tons of important things ;) in this project.

0 Likes

This is it.

By the end of June, I'll probably release the first version to production of my data collection product built in the last 5/6 months. We have a few customers ready to try it, so it's time to test and start a few case studies before we open it up :)

๐Ÿคž

0 Likes

I've been looking for something to do for the past couple weeks, and although I've had many ideas I'm not sure they'd work. If only there was a place to post and maybe get ideas where people could tell you if they'd want it or maybe even help you build it.

Well, I'm making a platform to help people build their side projects here. https://mailchi.mp/265abbd0a46c/lightbulb

0 Likes
leisenming

Launched on PH and got to over 50 registered users. Now working on creating a few more animation characters. Here is a new one with Wojak. Comments and suggestions on improving the website UI appreciated.

Toonclip - protests

0 Likes
catico

Just published this simple Chrome extension that shows full size Dribbble shot preview on hover. It supports all formats including images, gifs and videos.

If you like it upvote on PH

0 Likes
elijahmurray

Grit List, a newsletter for personal growth tactics in your inbox!

Because we all could do with a level up ;)

0 Likes
An

I'm working on myFront.page this month!

0 Likes
launch_pf

I launched my newsletter (http://launchpersonalfinance.com) last month. I just started with Revueโ€™s free plan, but am going to integrate with Wordpress this month to add little more blog functionality.

0 Likes
luther scott

I am working on virtual beings- Using new technologie to be a funel for minority and untold story. Using threejs. A lot of feature to add and search to do .

title

0 Likes
Richard Chu

Hey folks! I'm working on Letterbase, a simple, fast, and privacy-friendly customer support messenger.

I launched last month, and this month I plan to ramp up my feature development and marketing efforts.

Some things I've already done:

• Added a nice landing page
  • Added the ability to customize messenger text and launcher position

What I'd like to do this month:

• Collect more feedback about my website and product
  • Start a blog
  • Get my first paying customer!
0 Likes

Nice, I see you are using next js and tailwindcss

0 Likes
Richard Chu

@palars Yup! Great stack

0 Likes
Oskar Ahlroth

Hi makers!

Iโ€™m working on Glitter โœจ - Glitter | Show off your new features the video editor where you can make awesome videos of your apps features.

After releasing your app / adding a new wonderful new feature - how do your users find out about it?

With Glitter you can make delightful video snippets of your new feature and we all know video is more effective than forcing the customer to read a wall of text.

You can:

• Zoom in and out on user interactions
  • Add text
  • Add frame padding around your video
  • Add transitions: currently just fade-in

In the pipeline:

• Twitter integration
  • Add your logo to the video
  • More filters, transitions

Any feedback on the UI / UX / Missing features is more than welcome ๐Ÿ™

0 Likes

Hey Makerlog, this weekend I'm hosting the World Wide Creators Conference. Check it out: https://envisionwithjustin.com/conf

Starting this Saturday. 20+ Speakers. Creative Learning Labs. Virtual Networking. See you there!

0 Likes
Oksana Borukh

I'm still working on my website www.osintcurated.com - a hand curated collection of OSINT resources for online investigators, due diligence, law enforcement, etc. I'll be launching it soon. Good luck with your projects!

0 Likes

Hey Makerlog,

I took an extended break from working on side projects. But recently started working on an idea to improve localized cultural searches wherever you are in the world. MVP is close to being finished.

0 Likes

Hi everybody,

This month I launched ๐Ÿš€ my first commercial plugin for JetBrains IDEs called Spellbook. I worked hard on Spellbook for the past two months and finally finished dev and test and launched last week ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰.

Spellbook is a useful notes plugin that integrates the Evernote note taking service right into your IDE. With Spellbook, you can use Evernote as your own personal development knowledge repository and get access to this information without ever having to leave your IDE.

I started using the early alpha version of Spellbook about a month ago, and feel that my productivity has definitely increased as I'm spending more time in my IDE getting work done, and less time in the browser or some other app trying to find information. I simply save useful, and reusable code snippets and the like to my Evernote, and I can easily access them from any of my JetBrains IDEs anytime with Spellbook.

So if you are a JetBrains IDE user and are looking for a useful notes plugin to boost your productivity, check out Spellbook.

I also built a simplified limited feature set version of Spellbook that is ALWAYS FREE! Check out Spellbook Basic.

0 Likes

Hello Folks, Building a simple tool that aims to simplify showing appreciation. Starting with traditional certificates and going beyond that. Here is the link https://www.givekudos.app

0 Likes
Steven Tey

Hello fellow Makers!

I recently launched One Word Domains that got to #2 on Product Hunt and the front page of Hacker News. Currently trying out a few monetization strategies to see if I can create a sustainable business out of this.

If any of you are looking for the best available one-word domain names for your side project, feel free to check out the site - there's over 100,000 available one-word domains there on 20+ TLDs (.ai, .app, .co, .io, .com, .org, .net, .me, .so, .com with get- prefix (like getmakerlog.com) etc.)

0 Likes

Congrats on the recent launch! You're probably already doing this but just in case you haven't considered itโ€ฆI think Namecheap has an affiliate program. Maybe you can participate and use that to bring in revenue when someone purchases a domain from your site.

0 Likes

Hello everyone at Makerlog.

Hope you all are having a great week.

I have been working on my first Saas product, Designtack .

Designtack is An online tool to quickly design social media content, in bulk.

I have almost completed everything needed but just a couple of things are causing delays. The launch is expected around next week!

What are you guys upto? ๐Ÿ˜€

0 Likes
Blake Hunsicker

I'm redoing my site https://diagram.news and turning it into a news aggregator/chat/Q&A portal. See the live test build here: https://newsvotertest.web.app/

0 Likes

I'm writing a book on "Decision Making" for founders and project owners. I plan to write 50 well tested principles and describe with practical examples. Wrote about SWOT Analysis, BCG Matrix, Project Portfolio Matrix, Eisenhower Matrix.

Still far to reach 50. Also making diagrams for these is another hectic task for me.

0 Likes

Hi there! New member here.

This month I decided to give a try and make my own disposable email service. It's totally free (at least for now) and it's also open source. It's called Roasted.email ๐Ÿ”ฅ

As an MVP i would say it's complete as it does exactly what I intended. I'm now building on top of this MVP and adding new features and bug fixes.

Next feature I want to add is disposable phone numbers.

Thanks!

Product page

roastedemail

0 Likes

Please sign in to leave a comment.